Make a Paper Helicopter
This nifty paper helicopter is really a spinning glider with two airfoils that catch the air as it descends. Kids can hold the spinner up in the air, let it go, and watch it spin gracefully to the ground.
What You Need:
- Paper clip
- Helicopter template (download here)
What You Do:
- Print out the helicopter template and have your child cut it out along the lines. Cut along the dashed line labeled "cut here" as well.
- Help him fold along the lines where it says to fold.
- Fold up the bottom tip of the helicopter about 1" and place the paper clip over it to hold it in place. Now your helicopter is ready to fly!
- To let the helicopter fly, have him hold it up above his head as high as he can.
- Drop it and watch it fall. What happened?
Did You Know? Maple seeds have a similar shape to the paper helicopter. Go outside and see if you can find any to collect. Hold one up and let if fall. What happened? Just like the helicopter, the maple seed spins as it falls.