Looking for the amusement of a pet without the annoyance of allergies, cleaning up, and shedding? This easy-to-craft, spring-themed activity shows your kid how to make his very own pet out of craft pom-poms. And the fun doesn't end there: Attaching a clear fishing line gives the illusion that the pet is following along behind him! Not only will he be delighted with the look of this cute craft, but he'll be entertained for hours on end.
What You Need:
- Colored pom-poms in two sizes (like 1/2" and 1", or 1" and 2")
- Black marker
- Craft glue
- Hot glue gun
- Miscellaneous crafting scraps, such as yarn, felt, etc.
- Wiggly eyes (optional)
- Fishing line (optional)
What You Do:
- Have your child choose what kind of pet he would like to create. He can make any kind of animal out of pom-poms, but if he's inspired by spring, suggest that he create a chick or bunny. If he's making a bunny, pink or white pom-poms work best. If he would like to make a chick, he should use yellow pom-poms.
- Use craft glue or a hot glue gun to glue pom-poms together for the head and body. He should use a smaller pom-pom for the head, and a larger one for the body.
- Invite him to draw black dots for two eyes, or glue wiggly eyes on the head.
- Encourage him to embellish the pom-pom animals with some brightly colored add-ons. He can add fluffy felt ears for a bunny, or small orange scraps for a beak on the chick. Encourage him to use his imagination and get creative with these extra features. Allow the pom-pom pet to dry.
- After the pet has properly dried, it's time to attach the pet's leash! Use a hot glue gun to attach a length of fishing line to the front of the pom-pom pet, directly between the head and the body. When your child walks around, he can hang onto the string, and his very own companion will tag along behind him!