St. Patrick's Day Decor Activity
Everyday rooms are easily made party-ready with a colorful banner. Made from paper, clover shapes, and buttons, this banner is a great way to celebrate spring or St. Patrick's Day! Banners can be made as long or short as you like. Spruce up a doorway, or go all out and brighten up the entire length of a wall.
What You Need:
- Construction paper (white and green)
- White buttons
What You Do:
- Starting with the white construction paper, have your child fold one sheet in half vertically, so it's tall and thin.
- Lay the folded paper on a table horizontally so the fold is at the top.
- Have your child measure out 4.5-inch lengths from left to right, marking her measurements with the pencil.
- Encourage him to use the ruler to draw straight lines down from the fold using the markings he made as a guide. These rectangles will become the banner pieces.
- After the lines are drawn, have him mark a center point in the bottom of each rectangle. Then create diagonal lines from that center point to the lines on either side, creating a "V" shape at the bottom of the rectangle.
- Keeping the paper folded, cut out the rectangle pieces as well as the "V" shapes at the bottom of each one. Have him repeat this process until he has the desired amount banner pieces.
- Have him draw a clover on a green sheet of construction paper and cut it out.
- Use this clover as a template to create more clovers. He should continue tracing the clover until he has one for each banner piece.
- Encourage him to cut the clovers out and glue one in the center of each banner piece.
- Glue a button in the center of each clover.
- Ask your child to cut a length of string as long as he'd like the banner to reach.
- Have him arrange banner pieces one at a time, evenly spacing them over the length of the string. Make sure the string is tucked snugly in the folds of the banner pieces.
- Help him staple the banner pieces in place.
- Hang the banner up anywhere you'd like to celebrate the arrival of spring or St. Patrick's Day!