Stained Glass Leaves
Bring the vivid colors of fall into your home, no matter what month it is! This craft magically turns green leaves into autumn leaves by using crayon shavings and heat. With some color mixing and scissor skills, this colorful craft activity will surely get you into the seasonal spirit.
What You Need:
- Crayons in red, orange, yellow and brown
- Kitchen hand grater
- Shallow container
- Waxed paper
- Brown grocery bags
- Safety scissors
- Hole punch
- Rocks or clay
What You Do:
- Have your child remove the paper from the fall-colored crayons.
- Use a hand grater to shave the crayons, and mix all the shavings in a shallow container.
- Place a brown grocery bag on the table and then place waxed paper on top.
- Have your child place leaves on the wax paper and sprinkle a small amount of the crayon shavings on and around each leaf.
- Sandwich the leaves with a second sheet of waxed paper. Then place another brown grocery bag on top.
- Gently iron over the brown grocery bag on a low setting. The wax shavings will melt and blend.
- When the leaves cool, your kindergartener can remove the paper bags and cut around the wax paper leaves, keeping a small border around each one.
- Punch a hole at the top of each leaf and help your child thread a piece of yarn through them.
Hang the leaves in a bright window or tie them onto a twig to make an autumn tree!