Is your kid indecisive about what he wants to be when he grows up? Instead of concentrating on just one dream of his, why not encourage him to explore the possibilities by having him create a list of all the different fields of interest he may be interested in pursuing? By researching and creating a list of potential career choices and the steps he might need to take to make them happen, not only will he discover new and fulfilling fields of interest, but he will also be taking the first steps toward preparing for opportunities that may arise in the future.
What You Need:
- Hard surface
- Internet access
- Black colored pencil
What You Do:
- Have your kid do some research on the Internet and type up some notes about the different careers out there that pique his curiousity.
- Hand your child a piece of paper and a pencil.
- Place the paper down onto a hard surface and have your child set his bare foot in the middle of the piece of paper.
- With the pencil, help him trace out the shape of his foot onto the piece of paper.
- Trace over the shape of your child’s footprint with a black colored pencil.
- Hand him a pen and, above the footprint, have your child write out the words, “When I grow up, I want to be a…”
- In the middle of the footprint, help him write out a list of all the things he would like to be when he grows up.
- Above the toes of the footprint, instruct your child to write out the words, “To achieve my goals, I must…”
- In each of the toes, have him write out some of the things he must do in order to make his future dreams come true.
- To keep your child focused, tape his completed future footsteps poster to a wall in his room.
- He now has a daily reminder of the steps he must take in order to pursue his dreams.