What You Need:
- Empty plastic strawberry basket, washed and dried
- Liquid glue or water-based glue such as Mod Podge
- Tissue paper, various colors
- Invisible tape
What You Do:
- Have your child choose a ribbon to weave through one row of the basket, all the way around. She may choose to weave it through the basket’s top, middle, or bottom row.
- When she has completed weaving, help her use invisible tape to secure the ends of the ribbon by taping the ends down inside the strawberry basket.
- Prepare the liquid glue for your child: thin it with a small amount of water or use a water-based glue such as Mod Podge. The paintbrush will be used with the glue. Also prepare small strips of tissue paper in various colors.
- Have your child use the paintbrush to brush the glue on one side of the basket (but not over the ribbon).
- Next she can place the strips of tissue paper in “collage” fashion onto the glue. She may add some glue as needed in case some tissue overlaps other tissue and needs more glue under it.
- Repeat steps #4 and #5 for all the other sides of the basket, including the bottom of the basket! Make sure the tissue covers all the holes in the bottom of the basket if she wants to use her finished product for storing items in her room.
- After the glue has dried, hold the finished product up to the light and admire how the light shines through the colored tissue, creating a “stained glass” effect. She now has a beautiful box for her room or to give as a gift!
Check out more of our DIY gift baskets.