Stuffed French Toast Recipe
What better way to greet the day than with breakfast in bed? This Valentine's Day, your child can treat the whole family to this luxurious gift by making decadent strawberry and chocolate stuffed French toast. This activity is a great way for your child to express his appreciation for the ones he loves and may also spark his interest in food and cooking!
What You Need:
- Pie plate or other wide, shallow dish such as a square Pyrex baking dish
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 4 slices day old French bread approximately 1 1/4 “ thick, or your bread of choice for French toast
- 4 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Chocolate for drizzling (optional)
What You Do:
- In the pie plate or dish, have your child whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon sugar, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, carefully cut a shallow slit in the bottom side of each slice of bread, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Ask your child to carefully spread open the inside of each slice of bread as you would a piece of pita bread.
- Have your child spread strawberry preserves on one side and cream cheese on the other side of each "bread pocket". Sprinkle a few chocolate chips inside, then close.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Lay the bread slices in the egg mixture and let sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute for each side. This will help the bread soak up the mixture to ensure they're well-saturated.
- Turn the heat up to medium and place the bread slices in the pan. The slices may not all fit in the pan at once, so you may need to work in batches.
- Let the slices cook for 3 minutes or so until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Once all the French toast is cooked, transfer the slices to a platter and garnish with fresh strawberry slices. Drizzle a little melted chocolate over the top if desired. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup on the side.