Make Holiday String Ornaments
Glittery ornaments are always fun to make, and this one is so simple: all you need is glitter, glue, string, and an eager preschooler. She'll love arranging the string into different shapes and will practice shape recognition while she's at it. Hang the finished ornament on the tree, on the wall, or in a doorway and enjoy its glittery beauty.
What You Need:
- String or embroidery floss of various lengths
- White glue, thinned with water in a small bowl
- Wax paper
- Wet towel for clean up
What You Do:
- Dip the string in the thinned glue mixture.
- Remove excess glue from the string by pulling it through your pointer finger and thumb or by pulling it across the edge of the bowl. (Clean your fingers with the wet towel if necessary.)
- Help your child place the string on the wax paper in any shape, design, pattern, or form.
- Have your child sprinkle glitter over the string.
- Allow the string design to dry completely. It may need to dry overnight.
- Gently peel the string design off the wax paper. Use care when doing this; sometimes peeling the string from the wax paper can be tricky.
- Hang the string as an ornament if desired.
You can also try making defined shapes by arranging the string into circles, stars, diamonds, or other designs. Add a little color by mixing tempera paint into the thinned glue mixture. Or for a little extra texture try sprinkling colored sand, confetti, or candy sprinkles on the design.