The weather may not always be warm and toasty during the summer season, but that doesn't mean your child can't bask in the light of a cheery yellow sun all summer long. Make vocabulary practice a little brighter with this summer words puzzle!
What You Need:
- Styrofoam circle
- Yellow paint
- Black marker
- Summer vocabulary list
- Paint brush
- White poster board
- Place mat
What You Do:
- Put the place mat beneath the Styrofoam circle.
- Have your child paint the top and sides of the Styrofoam circle yellow.
- Set it aside to dry.
- Turn the Styrofoam circle over and let him paint that side yellow as well.
- Set it aside to dry again.
- This step is all you. Carefully make a shallow cut along the center side of the Styrofoam circle.
- Don't let him put away the paint just yet! Have your child paint the poster board yellow.
- Let him use scissors to cut triangles from the poster board. He should make at least thirty yellow triangles.
- Have your child write one word from his summer vocabulary list on about half of the yellow triangles.
- Without him peeking, write random vocabulary words on the rest of the triangles. These words should have nothing to do with summer.
- Put all the triangles on the table.
- Let him stick only the summer words into the side of the Styrofoam circle.
- As he places each "sunbeam" into the circle, quiz him on the word's definition.