Craft a Swan Plant Container
Spark your child's interest in gardening with this fun arts and crafts activity! Using just a plastic gallon milk jug and some paint, create a swan planting container that you can grow your favorite flower in. This is a great way to teach your child how to recycle and re-use items at home and let her use her "green thumb" to boot! It makes a great Earth Day activity, and will beat boredom in a snap.
What You Need:
- 1 empty gallon of milk
- White paint (enamel paint works well)
- Paint brush
- Paper napkin
- Construction paper
What You Do:
- Use the scissors to cut a zigzag pattern horizontally across the gallon, leaving the handle intact.
- Bend the zigzag edges slightly outward; these will form the swan's feathers.
- Use the white paint on the entire outer part of the gallon.
- Crumple up a white paper napkin into a tight ball, to be the swan's head. Glue it to the top of the handle on the gallon.
- Cut one small triangle and two small circles out of the construction paper for the eyes and beak. Glue them onto the head and let the glue dry.
- Put some soil into the swan and plant your desired flower!