Sweet Noodle Kugel Activity
Kugel is a traditional Jewish side dish made for special celebrations, which can be either savory or sweet. Your child can learn more about Jewish food traditions as well as create a sweet treat!
What You Need:
- 4 cups dry egg noodles
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Large stockpot
- Mixing bowl
- 9-inch baking pan
What You Do:
- Invite your child to fill the large stockpot with water and place over medium heat until simmering. Now she can add the egg noodles, give everything a stir, and then let the noodles boil for about ten minutes until cooked through. (Hint: adding a pinch of salt adds flavor and helps the pasta cook faster!)
- While the noodles are simmering, invite your child to gather the rest of the ingredients for the kugel. Traditional kugel can either be sweet or savory and is often served as a special treat or as a side dish during Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Passover.
- Once your child has gathered the ingredients, she can begin creating the base by cracking the eggs and adding them to a mixing bowl. Encourage your child to wash her hands before and after handling the eggs – no one wants to get sick! She can also preheat the oven to 350 F so it’s nice and hot when she’s ready for baking the kugel.
- Now she can whisk in the milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, butter, and honey until everything is a smooth consistency. This is the custard that will cook along with the egg noodles to create the sweet kugel.
- Invite your child to carefully strain the noodles using hot pad holders. The noodles are hot, so offer adult supervision as needed!
- Now your child can add the noodles to the egg mixture, using a spatula to turn and coat the noodles.
- Then she can pour the noodle mixture into the baking pan and place in the hot oven for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baked kugel from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.