Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Gnocchi are tasty Italian dumplings traditionally made from potatoes, boiled, and then served in a sauce or coating of butter. Your child can create gnocchi with a twist by using sweet potatoes instead, and then rolling them into a healthy main dish!
What You Need:
- 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potato
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups flour
- Dash of cinnamon and pepper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Butter knife
- Slotted spoon
- Serving bowl
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Dash of salt and pepper
What You Do:
- Clean a large, flat work area for rolling and cutting the gnocchi. Invite your child to dust the area with a small amount of flour to keep things from sticking.
- Now your child can measure and add the sweet potatoes and salt to the mixing bowl. Next, he can carefully chop and add the garlic and egg.
- Invite your child to give the ingredients a good stir with the spatula and then add half of the flour. Once the flour has been mixed in well, he can add the parmesan cheese and give another stir.
- Now he can add the rest of the flour and stir well. Invite him to dump the dough onto the floured work area, and add additional flour if the dough is a bit sticky.
- It’s time to make the gnocchi! He can take a handful of the dough and roll it into a long snake. Next he can use the butter knife to cut sections, about 1 inch in length, and then press with his thumb.
- Dust a plate with a little flour, and have your child place his finished gnocchi on it.
- While your child keeps rolling and cutting his gnocchi, fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil.
- Invite your child to gently drop his finished gnocchi into the boiling water. The gnocchi are cooked when they float to the surface, which only take a couple of minutes! Your child can scoop up the cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl.
- Now your child can drizzle the gnocchi with the melted butter and add an additional dash of salt and pepper before serving!