Fall Syllable Game
Learning syllables is an important part of understanding how to correctly pronounce words. This activity is great demonstrating to kids how syllables work. As an added bonus, it'll also help your child master the art of reading out loud. This simple fall-themed syllable game is a great way to introduce the concept of a syllable to your young learner.
What You Need:
- Sheet of paper
What You Do:
- Using the marker and ruler, your child should divide the paper in half lengthwise.
- Have your little help you come up with a list of between 10 or 20 two syllable, fall-related words. Here are some from our list: autumn, pumpkin, scarecrow, cornstalk, harvest.
- Using the marker, on the left side of the paper write a list of the first syllable of each word you chose. The left half of our paper looked like this:
- Then, still using the marker, on the right side of the paper write a mixed up list of the other syllables followed by a blank line. The right half of our paper looked like this:
- To begin, your child must figure out which syllables can be arranged to form a full word. Then, she should draw a line between them.
- Finally, have her write each complete word out on the blank spaces in the right-hand column.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.