Is your first grader a picky eater who judges her meal at a glance? Change her perception of food with the help of this tricky taste test. Your first grader may be surprised to find that things are not always as they seem, or in this case, as they taste.
What You Do:
- Have your child line up the five drinking glasses on a table.
- Let her fill each drinking glass with a different beverage. (The clearer the beverages the better -- clear sodas and flavored waters are great choices, but include at least one type of juice.) Make a note of which beverage is in each glass.
- Help her add just a few drops of food coloring into each glass. Make sure she doesn't use the same color for every glass.
- Let her use a spoon to stir the food coloring into each beverage.
- Have her invite her group of friends (or family members) into the room.
- Let your child hand each taste tester a sheet of paper and a pencil.
- She should ask each person to write down what they guess each beverage is.
- Let the taste testers take a sip of each beverage and record if their guesses changed.
- Have your child reveal the actual beverages.
- Help her look at the results. Did anyone guess all the beverages correctly? Could anyone guess the flavor just by its appearance?
For a more competitive twist, make this activity a family game. Each player gets a point for every beverage they guess correctly! Let your child get in on the tasty action by coloring the drinks yourself.