Easy Puzzles for Kids
Puzzles are lots of fun, but they can be a tricky toy to master. This activity is a great introduction for kids who aren't quite ready for the real puzzles yet. You'll make your own puzzles out of sponges, and then you'll make outlines for each puzzle you create. Your child will be able to start off using the outline to put the puzzles together, and after she gets the hang of it, she'll be able to do them all on her own!
What You Need:
- Card stock
What You Do:
- Outline shapes on the sponges. Be sure to create a variety of basic shapes. Squares, triangles, and rectangles all work well.
- Carefully cut out the shapes.
- Arrange the shapes so that they create a design or picture or some sort.
- Transfer the arrangement to the piece of card stock. Then, use a pencil to lightly outline the shapes on the card stock. The card stock is the puzzle base and will serve as a reference for your child.
- Retrace the pencil marks with a thick black marker, using a ruler where needed.
- Give your child the sponge puzzles and the guides, and encourage her to fit the shapes together to complete her puzzle.
Once she's gotten the hang of it, challenge her to put the puzzles together without the guides. This is her first step towards doing real puzzles on her own!