Money Tic Tac Toe Activity
Help your second grader gain a better understanding of how to count money using a Tic-Tac-Toe grid. Practice adding up different coin values and writing them down using dollar signs and decimal points. It's a whole new way to work on an important math concept! Ask your student to help create and solve problems as you play.
What You Need:
- Paper or poster board
- Scratch paper
What You Do:
- Use a marker and your paper or posterboard to make your grid! It can be as big or as small as you like, and when it's done it should look like a pound sign.
- Decide which player will be Xs and which player will be Os.
- Take turns selecting boxes, adding up the value of the coins within them, and writing down their values using dollar signs and decimal points.
- If a player solves correctly, he gets to claim a box by putting either an X or an O in it and he earns 200 points.
- When a player has attained three boxes in any row, column, or diagonal, they receive an additional 500 points.
- Play until all of the squares have been claimed. The player with the most points is the winner.