Turkey Napkin Rings
Get ready for Thanksgiving by enlisting your child's help! In this activity, you'll work together to create some adorable turkey napkin rings. These easy-to-make table adornments will give you child a chance to make a memorable statement at the dinner table, and help her feel that she played an important role in the preparations for the big event!
What You Need:
- Construction paper, pre-cut in 2" x 8.5" strips, 1 strip per napkin holder
- Tempera paint
- Googly eyes, small
What You Do:
- Set a dish with brown tempera on the table and have your child dip her thumb in the paint and test her thumbprint on the newspaper. When she's happy with the quality of the print, have her press her brown thumbprint in the center of each of the strips of construction paper. These will be the turkey bodies.
- Repeat the process with brown paint using her first finger this time. Stamp directly over the brown thumbprint to create the turkey's head.
- Set out the other colors of tempera paint. They'll be used to create the feathers. Have her use her pinky finger to create four different color prints above the turkey's head. Make sure to have her wipe her pinkys off when she's transitioning between colors.
- Help her glue two small googly eyes on the head of each turkey to give them personalities. Allow the paint and glue to dry completely.
- Help her roll the napkins by wrapping the napkin rings around the center of the napkins and taping them in place.
Include the finished napkin rings as part of your Thanksgiving Day table settings. Now your festivities will feature something created by your own little turkey. Gobble, gobble!