Happy Valentine's Day! Help your child show his love for someone by writing a meaningful acrostic poem. He'll get to work on his writing and vocabulary skills at the same time!
What You Do:
- Explain to your child that acrostic poems are poems where the initial letter of every line spells out a word. The last words don't necessarily need to rhyme. For example:
Hello to my grandma
Always smiling and laughing
Papa is next to her
Preparing stew for supper
Yes, I love coming to visit!
- Identify who your child will write a poem for. Have him write this person's name in uppercase letters vertically.
- Think of adjectives or nouns that are associated with this person that start with the name letters. For example, for Papa, your child might think of popular, awesome, patient, and amazing.
- Help your child put these words into the poem.
- Invite your child to put the poem on a decorated Valentine's Day construction paper card.
- Give the card and see the person's reaction!