Valentine Acrostic Poem
Valentine's Day is the perfect time to show someone you love how much they mean to you. In this activity, your child will create a beautiful valentine acrostic poem for a friend or loved one. Acrostic poems have a simple format, with endless variations. What's more: the poetry writing process will help your child improve his handwriting, vocabulary, and critical thinking skills.
What You Need:
- Construction paper (red, pink, or white)
- Lined paper
What You Do:
- Discuss the concept of an acrostic poem with your child. They are simple poems in which the first letter of each line forms a word (vertically). The lines do not have to rhyme, but can if he wishes. Acrostic poems are usually one of the easier types of poetry for children to write because they have a format to follow. Give your child the following example, or one of your own:
- Have your child choose a person he would like to make an acrostic poem for in this year's Valentine's Day card. For example, Mom, Dad, Grandma, etc.
- Ask him to write the name of the person in capital letters vertically onto a sheet of lined paper.
- Encourage your child to come up with adjectives describing that person using each letter of their name. For example, MOM – Magnificent, Outstanding, Marvelous, etc.
- Have him use these adjectives to create an acrostic poem.
- Ask your child to cut out the acrostic poem and paste it onto a sheet of folded construction paper. Write "Happy Valentine's Day" on the outside.
The recipient of this lovely personalized Valentine's Day poem will surely be delighted!