Valentine Fruit Snacks
If your child loves fruit snacks, but you're a little worried about the health aspect of those tasty store-bought treats, then this project is for you! We all know that kids get overloaded on sugar on Valentine’s Day. Why not make this healthy snack so she gets a break from the chocolate hearts and candy? She can even help make them, too. All you need are some strawberries, fruit roll-ups (or fruit leathers), and scissors! Yummy!
What You Need:
- Fruit roll-ups or fruit leather (strawberry, raspberry, cherry)
- Scissors (ones that you use for food only)
- Heart cookie cutters
What You Do:
- Ask your child to unroll the fruit roll-ups and lay them flat on a work surface.
- If you have cookie cutters in the shape of hearts, place them out. If you are using a cookie cutter, press the cutter into the fruit roll-up and release it. Make several of these. They will become the “petals” of the strawberry flowers!
- If you are using scissors, help your child carefully cut out some heart shapes from the fruit leathers. Try and use several different red flavors of fruit roll-up to get some variety of color and flavor.
- Cut off the green tops of the strawberries and place them on a plate.
- Carefully place a toothpick through the pointy side of the strawberry so that the flat side is on the plate. Then place the fruit hearts through the toothpick until they are fanned out around the strawberry. Place another strawberry on top, with the flat side pressed down against the fruit hearts.
- Keep repeating the process until there are several strawberry heart flowers on the plate.
Eat and enjoy! You have a delicious and healthy snack that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day!