Sweet Corn Muffins
Sweet corn muffins are a delicious and unexpected Valentine's Day treat. Wake up to these sweet corn muffins with a surprise filling and you will feel the Valentine’s love the whole the day through! Make the love and affection-themed holiday even more special by helping your child add a Valentine's Day twist to the everyday muffin. All he needs is a basic muffin recipe and some strawberry or raspberry jam, and your family will have a delicious Valentine’s surprise to get their day off to the right start! Make a batch of sweet corn muffins with a hidden surprise this Valentine's Day.
What You Need:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- Jam (raspberry, strawberry)
- Chocolate kisses
- Muffin cups
What You Do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F, and ask your child to line the muffin pan with papers.
- Have him mix all the dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, and milk.
- Ask your child to pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, until just combined.
- Invite your child to take a tablespoon and carefully spoon some of the mixture into the first muffin cup. It should be filled about ¼ of the way full.
- Take a dollop of jam and place it on top of the batter in the center. Then cover the jam with more of the batter until it’s completely covered and the cup is ¾ full.
- Repeat this process until all the muffin cups are full with batter and place in the oven for 15–18 minutes. Be sure to check with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean! If not, bake for an extra minute or tow.
Variations: Try using a different muffin recipe or use whole wheat flour instead of the cornmeal. Try adding vanilla extract for sweetness. Or add a chocolate kiss in the center of the batter instead of jam.