For a puppy dog craft that's sure to win your heart, make it with paper hearts! Once your child learns how to cut a heart shape out of paper, he'll be able to create a cute and cuddly animal made entirely out of hearts. This Valentine's Day craft is a classroom favorite. See what other animals you can create with hearts!
What You Need:
- Construction paper in black, white and red
- Safety scissors
- Wiggle eyes (optional)
What You Do:
- Show your chid how to cut out paper hearts by folding a piece of paper in half and cutting out a a teardrop shape on the folded crease. You can use a pencil to draw the shape out first, if it's easier.
- Once he is familiar with making hearts, have him make two large hearts with white paper for the head and body. Turn the hearts upside down and layer them vertically, then glue them together.
- Have your child make some medium sized hearts out of black paper for the ears and paws. Position and glue these in place.
- Cut a smaller black heart for the nose and a red heart for the puppy's tongue.
- Now he can cut tiny black or brown hearts for the spots. Glue these on the body.
- Draw or glue googly eyes on the head for an expressive face.
As a variation, try making a ladybug from a heart with tiny heart spots, or a butterfly with varied-sized hearts as wings!