Walnut Shell Animals
Make your own menagerie of animals using empty walnut shells and some other craft materials. Go nuts!
What You Need:
- Empty walnut shell halves
- Colored construction paper
- Hot glue gun
- Tempera paints (white, black, green, and red)
- Black pipe cleaner
- Six googly eyes
What You Do:
- Have your child decide if he wants to make a mouse, a turtle, a ladybug, or all three!
- Let him paint the walnut shell green for a turtle, or red for a ladybug. On the red ladybug, paint a small front area black for the ladybug’s “face.” To make a mouse, mix white and black paint to create grey, and have your child paint the walnut shell grey.
- After the paint dries, your child can cut out shapes using colored construction paper to go with his animal: to make a turtle, have him cut out a green oval head, four green oval legs, and a triangle tail. For a mouse, he can cut two ears in pink construction paper and glue them to the sides of the shell. For a ladybug, let your child paint black polka dots on the back of the shell, then paint a black line down the middle of the shell behind the ladybug’s “face.”
- Help him glue 2 googly eyes near the front of the shell or on the animal's "head".
- Let your child enjoy his new animals. They’re fun to play with or display!