Washi Tape School Supplies
Washi tape is the new craft craze that originated in Japan but has flourished here in the U.S., too. The tape comes in a variety of widths, colors, and designs, and is available at most craft stores. The tape is unique in that it can be attached to many surfaces, but also peeled off very easily. Prepare for school the washi tape way—with some washi tape school supplies!
What You Need:
- Empty plastic food containers of various sizes and shapes
- Washi tape in different widths, colors and designs
What You Do:
- For this activity, your child will want to pick out several rolls of washi tape in many different designs and colors.
- Give your child an empty plastic container; either a new one or an old food container that’s been rinsed and cleaned. Hard plastic sandwich containers work well, or an empty plastic 32-ounce size yogurt container can also provide great marker and crayon storage.
- Let your child decorate the empty container all around with washi tape. You can help him cut strips if needed, or he can cut the tape himself to different lengths. He can use various colors and designs around the container, and even layer designs on top of one another.
- If the container has a lid, encourage him to decorate it, too! He may want to write his name or “School Supplies” on one piece of the washi tape if the tape is light enough in color. He could also cut the washi tape to make the shape of his initials, or go ahead and spell out his whole first name.
- Next, let your child wrap washi tape around pencils to decorate them also. He will have decorated school supplies as well as the supply container!
- If he’s allowed to take his decorated supplies to school, he can keep them there or in his home to be ready for homework. The decorated supplies and holder will liven up his “home office”!