Aquariums are usually reserved for fish, but this aquarium will contain creatures from your child's imagination! Using water beads, a shoe box and foam, your kid can create her own environment filled with whatever she dreams might live under the sea.
What You Need:
- Water beads, blues and greens (pre-soaked overnight and strained as per the directions)
- Foam in a variety of colors
- Plastic wrap
- Shoe box
What You Do:
- Cover the inside of the shoe box with plastic wrap. Tape it in place if necessary.
- Help your child pour the pre-soaked water beads into the the box until it's filled about a third of the way up. Oh....and make sure to tell your child the balls are not edible!
- Encourage your child to describe what kinds of creatures she thinks live in the sea. Does she want to invent any that she's never seen or heard of before?
- Ask her to cut out all of the creatures she can think of using scissors and foam.
- Have her place her sea objects in the water beads to create an underwater environment.
- Encourage her to play with the sea creatures, changing the scenery of their environment along the way. Can any of them live on land too? Do any of her creatures also fly?
After a day or two, the beads will start to shrink. If your child is still exploring, simply spray them with water to keep them from shriveling.