Did you know that witches are one of the most popular Halloween costumes? This October the 31st, your child can learn how to create her very own decorative witch hat, which can also be turned into wearable head attire. You'll even sneak in a mini-geometry lesson as you show her how to turn a flat piece of paper into a cone.
What You Do:
- Encourage your child to paint the paper plate black. Set the wet plate to aside to dry.
- Help your child roll a sheet of black paper into a cone shape and tape it in place. Ask her to cut off the remaining paper to complete the cone shape.
- Encourage her to decorate the cone using sequins, poms, buttons, or anything else she wants to use.
- Glue the cone to the center of the black plate.
- If she'd like to create a witch hat that she can wear, have her punch two holes on either side of the plate.
- Then, have her cut a piece of elastic cords and tie the ends to the holes to help hold it on her head. Add a black cape and a broom, and you'll have a truly bewitching costume!
This hat makes an adorable table decoration. Or, you could make several hats and place them around the house to create a delightfully spooky mood.