Transform your uncomfortable wooden shoes into charming mini planters! Your second grader will get to celebrate nature and the Scandinavian countries that popularized wooden shoes with this simple and delightful art project.
What You Need:
- Wooden shoe
- Tempera paint
- Paint brushes
- Potting soil
- Small herb plant such as thyme, sage, or oregano
What You Do:
- Brainstorm ideas for how to design your planter shoe. Are you going to use bold colors? Do you want to make a pattern?
- Draw the design on your shoe using a pencil.
- Paint your shoe. Be sure to avoid painting the inside of the shoe since the potting soil and the plant will cover it. Let the shoe dry.
- Grab a handful of soil and place it inside the shoe. Pack the soil in tightly.
- Using your fingers, make a small hole in the soil.
- Place your small herb plant into the hole. Pat the soil down around the plant.
- Give your plant a little water and admire your work! Will you keep your adorable shoe planter or will you give it as a gift?