100th Day of School Writing Activity
Over the first 100 days of school, kids have experienced so many special days and events including the first day of school, Back to School night, Fall festivals, Thanksgiving and holiday celebrations, and everything else in between. Find out what some of your child’s favorite parts of school have been so far by encouraging her to write them down on paper. Nothing too lengthy—just 100 words exactly!
What You Need:
- School calendar from the beginning of the school year
- Computer (optional: you won't need a pencil and paper if using the computer)
What You Do:
- To refresh her memory, encourage your child to look at the calendar starting with the first day of school in the fall up to the present. Ask her about the various activities and events she has experienced at school so far and have her pick two or three that stand out in her mind.
- On paper or the computer, ask your child to write about the events she chose, explaining what happened and why they are her favorite. Challenge her to keep to the 100 word goal, encouraging her to edit down her story if it's too long or expand on it if it's too short.
- When your child is done, have her read it aloud to you, then talk about it together. You can use this activity to jump-start a conversation about the present: how she's doing in class, how she likes her teachers, new friends she's made, and so on.