Write Fortunes and Riddles for Homemade Popsicles!
I see fun in your future! Your child will love making homemade Popsicles and being the creator of jokes or fortunes to write himself on the Popsicle sticks.
What You Need:
- Popsicle sticks
- Non toxic ball point pen or food coloring markers (available in cake decor supermarket aisles)
- Light colored juice like apple or white grape; orange juice also works
- Containers for making Popsicles
What You Do:
- Remind your child of previous Popsicles he may have eaten that had jokes or riddles written on the stick. He can now create such a Popsicle himself!
- Tell him to think of jokes, riddles, or fortunes that he might write on a Popsicle stick. Here are examples if he needs some help: “You will have a fun week ahead.” “You will meet a new friend.” “What do cows do for fun? Watch moooovies.” “What’s a dog’s favorite pizza? Pup-eroni.”
- Have your child use a non toxic ball point pen or food coloring marker to write his fortune on the Popsicle stick. If he’s writing a joke, he should write the question of the joke on one end of the stick and the answer on the end that will be covered by the Popsicle.
- Give the ink time to dry. Make sure the marker ink is completely dry before the next step.
- Help him pour light-colored juice or orange juice into the empty Popsicle containers almost but not all the way to the top.
- Let your child place each Popsicle stick inside each juice-filled container. The stick can lean to one side of the container.
- If using food coloring markers, the marker ink will run a little bit, adding color to the juice, but that is okay; the written material will still be readable.
After the juice has frozen into Popsicles, your child can eat them and then read his writing. He can share Popsicles with friends who will be impressed to see that your child made the Popsicles and the written surprises!