Yankee Doodle Three-Cornered Hat
Are you looking for a fun craft for the next American holiday? Make this hat with your child and let him march around the room like a Revolutionary soldier! This project will help teach your youngster about patriotic colors, and boost those fine motor skills while he's at it. Why not add a feather and sing Yankee Doodle together?
What You Need:
- Poster board in red, white and blue
- Construction paper
- Safety scissors
What You Do:
- Cut 9" x 4" strips from red, white and blue poster board. This size hat will fit a preschool-age child. Adjust the length of the strips for a larger child.
- Have your child trace around a star template and cut out yellow construction paper stars to glue on the blue strip.
- Cut out stripes from white construction paper to glue on the red poster board strip.
- Why do we use stars and stripes on patriotic pictures? Where else do you see these symbols?
- The white strip is great for an original drawing by the child or stickers that represent Independence Day.
- Staple the short ends of the strips together to complete a three-cornered hat.
- Glue or tape a feather in one of the corners.
Invite your child to wear this patriotic hat while celebrating Veterans Day, Memorial Day, or even the birthday of the United States on July 4th.