Zucchini Fritters Activity
Summer means fresh fruits and vegetables – like zucchini! Your child can create a flavorful side dish for your next meal – zucchini fritters! Traditionally, fritters are a coated in batter and fried, but your child can create these healthy and tasty fritters by adding the zucchini to the batter and then lightly frying!
What You Need:
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mixing bowl
- Sauté pan
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
What You Do:
- Offer your child the grater and invite her to wash and dry the zucchini. Now she can grate them into the mixing bowl.
- Now she can finely dice the clove of garlic and add it to the bowl. Dicing encourages your child’s fine motor and culinary skills!
- Invite your child to measure and add the rest of the ingredients, along with the eggs.
- Now she can use a spatula to mix everything together. She can also add the teaspoon of vegetable oil to the sauté pan and get it warming over medium heat.
- Invite her to drop spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture onto the warm pan and let brown for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Now she can serve her finished fritters alongside dinner, or with a side of sour cream for a special snack!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.