Guns in School: Should Teachers Be Armed?
- Administrators have been using state gun laws to arm select school staff for years.
- Currently, several states, including Massachusetts, Hawaii, New Hampshire, and Texas, allow guns on campus. In all states, some type of firearms permit and training is required.
- After hearing shots, Sandy Hook Elementary School principal Dawn Hochsprung confronted the gunman unarmed and was fatally shot.
- In 2010, the U.S. reported 606 accidental shooting deaths. Of those dead, 62 were children age 14 and younger.
- A school shooting in Scotland in 1996 led to legislation making private ownership of handguns illegal in the United Kingdom. Criminologists report a steady decline in the murder rate since the law was passed.
- The sheriff's deputy present at Columbine High School during the tragic 1999 shooting responded bravely, but missed four times and was unable to stop Eric Harris from continuing his killing spree.
What's Your Opinion?
Please respect this as a forum for the thoughtful exchange of ideas.