ABC's and Coconut Trees
Students will be able to follow directions and identify letters of the alphabet.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Show students the cover of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
- Ask students if they have heard this story before.
- Ask students if they recognize the picture on the front of the book.
- Explain that today, the students will be learning about letters.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read students the story Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
- Ask students to identify letters throughout the story.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Draw a coconut tree on the whiteboard.
- Ask students to name a letter they want to make on or under the coconut tree.
- Take turns giving students opportunities to make letters for the coconut tree.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student a toilet paper roll covered in brown toilet paper.
- Give each student 4 leaf cut-outs and have them place the leaves on the roll, followed by different letter stickers.
- Ask students to identify the letters they are putting on.
- Have the class repeat this poem as they put letters on the tree " Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! Will there be enough room? Here comes letter ___ Up the coconut tree!"
- Enrichment: Have advanced students complete the Alphabet Mix Up worksheet.
- Support: Have struggling students work in pairs.
Related Books and/or Media
BOOK: Alphabet Rescue by Audrey Wood
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Have students play the game Alphabet Demolition Bingo to practice letter recognition.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have students walk around the room and each identify a letter they see and can recognize.