Adding with Dominoes and Playing Cards
Students will be able to write number sentences and add one digit numbers.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Gather the students, and let them know that they will be adding, using different objects such as dominoes and playing cards.
- Pass around the dominoes and playing cards for the students to see and touch.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Draw a domino shape horizontally on the board, and choose a domino from the stack.
- Ask one student to come up and count the circles she sees on the first half.
- Draw that number of circles in that space on the board, and do the same with the other half.
- Have the students count the number on both sides, and write those numbers under the domino on the board.
- Ask the students what symbol goes between the two numbers to show addition.
- Write in the plus sign.
- Ask them what symbol comes after the second number.
- Write in the equal sign.
- Add the two numbers, and write the answer on the board.
- Select another domino and repeat these steps.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Place the students in groups of four to five depending on the number of students in your class.
- Give each student a domino and paper.
- Instruct your students to count the dots on their dominoes and write addition sentences with the sum.
- When addition sentences have been written for each group member's domino, have them bring their papers and dominoes back to the circle.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Ask a student to select two playing cards.
- Have the student read both numbers from the cards.
- Write an addition sentence to go with the numbers.
- Give each student 10 playing cards.
- Have your students write 5 number sentences and complete the Domino Addition assignment.
- Enrichment: Add in the Ace cards, which are worth 11 points in the game.
- Support: Give your students the dominoes to work with during the card activity. Have them add smaller numbers and identify the sum instead of writing the entire number sentence.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Secret Agent Addition
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Check the students' papers, and give them the Domino Fact Families worksheet for homework.
- If the students wrote complete and correct addition sentences, have them move on to adding two digit numbers.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Go back and review how to add, using the cards and dominoes.
- Have the students tell what they did to complete the assignment.