- 50 minutes
"Orange" your students excited about color? Quickly teach your students about the color orange with this simple lesson.
Students will be able to identify the color orange.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Show students some of the orange items.
- Ask the students if they know the color of those items.
- Explain that the color they see is orange; it can be made by mixing red and yellow.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Give students The Color Orange worksheet.
- Help them trace the word "orange" as you read the sentences aloud.
- Have them cut the pages to make their mini-books.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students work on the Orange Things worksheet.
- The students will review some things that are orange.
- Have them name the items and then trace and write the word "orange."
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Once students have completed the Orange Things worksheet, have them go back to their mini-book and color the pages.
- Staple students' pages together for them as they finish.
- Enrichment: Challenge advanced students to think of orange things that weren't brought to class today.
- Support: Help struggling students come up with items that are orange.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Put some of the smaller orange items into the basket.
- Allow students to look through the basket and choose items to examine.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- As a class, make a list of orange objects.