- Social Studies
- 105 minutes
no ratings yet
Would you like your students to understand some of the most iconic symbols in American culture? Well, you are in luck! This lesson will allow your students to explore important American symbols and their meanings.
Student will identify important American symbols and explain their meaning.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell students that today they will be learning about some of the most important symbols in the United States of America.
- Ask students if they can define symbol. After discussion, define, and record, if necessary, a symbol as an item that represents something else.
- Ask students if they can name any American symbols.
- Help guide them through this discussion by naming items such as the bald eagle, the American flag, and the Statue of Liberty.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (20 minutes)
- Put one of the six American symbols cards under a document camera or have the kids gather in a tighter space so they can see the picture.
- Ask the children if they can identify the symbol you are holding up.
- See if they can tell you anything about that symbol that you are showing them.
- Next, read the corresponding card that goes along with that symbol.
- Make sure to go through all six symbols.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (60 minutes)
- Note: Depending how many students you have, group them into groups of 3-4.
- Choose a number of worksheets from those provided.
- Using these worksheets create a number of stations for your students to rotate around.
- Give students 5-10 minutes per station and have them rotate once the time is up.
Independent Working Time
- Have your students complete their work in the different stations independently.
- Enrichment: See if these students can come up with more examples of American symbols.
- Support: The students will be working in groups. They can use the help of the other group members to work through any issues they may be having.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Complete an assessment of each student by pulling them one-on-one while they are in groups and seeing if they can tell you a couple facts about each symbol.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- After all the stations have been completed, have the class come back together.
- Ask each student to tell the class one fact they learned and what their favorite activity was.