- Fifth Grade
- 55 minutes
- Standards: 5.NBT.B.7
It’s the beginning of the school year and your class needs supplies! Can your students successfully shop for everything they need and stay on budget? Find out in this real-world application of multiplying whole numbers by decimals.
Students will be able to apply their knowledge of multiplying whole numbers by decimals in real world situations.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell students, "Today we are going to do some make-believe back to school shopping. But you won't just be buying for yourself. You will need a class set of each of the supplies on the supply list."
- Ask students to turn and talk about what steps they might take to accomplish this task. Some guiding questions you can ask are: What type of math will you need to use? what numbers will you be working with?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Use the problems from Buying in Bulk to model multiplying whole numbers by decimals in money form.
- Watch the Introduction to Multiplying Decimals video.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Distribute the school supply lists (see Differentiation for details) and budget sheets.
- Model choosing an item from the supply list, locating in the store ad, writing its details on the worksheet, and calculating the cost.
- Invite students to assist with the multiplication.
- Repeat as necessary.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Students will use the store ads, school supply lists, and budget sheets to plan their shopping trip.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can be given supply list 3.
- Support: Struggling students can be given supply list 1.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Use the budget sheets to evaluate students' understanding of multiplying whole numbers and decimals.
- Assess whether they stayed within their allotted budget.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have students write responses to the following questions: What was the most challenging part of this assignment? What are the most important steps to remember when multiplying decimals and whole numbers?