- Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
- 70 minutes
no ratings yet
Students will be given information on the three branches of the US government. This is an introduction where students fill out information.
Students will be able to identify the three parts of the US government and list the purpose of the different branches.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell your students that today they will be learning about the three branches of the United States Government.
- Ask your students to identify the three branches. If students are unable to name all three help them along.
- Write the names of the three branches on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Hand out the information sheet on the three parts of the government.
- Read this sheet together as a class and underline the most important pieces of information.
- Hand out the Branches of the US Government worksheet.
- Have students independently fill in the boxes on this sheet, leaving the bubbles for the next section.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- On the board, draw the boxes and bubbles.
- Discuss and fill in the boxes and bubbles. The boxes contain the names of the branches and the bubbles explain the jobs of each branch.
- To help students understand the branches, hand out markers and paper.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Have students draw a tree with three thick branches. On each branch write the name of a branch of government. On the leaves or smaller branches, have students fill out the role of each branch of government. Students can use this as a reference for future activities.
- Enrichment: Have students complete the Three Branches of Government Match-Up worksheet. Offer some way for them to research or provide a way for them to independently check their work.
- Support: Have students use the information sheet to help them as they fill in the worksheet. You could also highlight important information.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Walk around as your students work.
- Note those who seem to be struggling.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Ask your students to name the three branches of government and list the jobs of each branch.