Students will be able to identify when holidays occur and place them on their calendars.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Ask students to start thinking about holidays they celebrate.
- Express that not everyone celebrates the same holidays because of different cultures and religions.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Have a list of the months on the white board with spaces in between the months.
- Have students tell you the holidays they celebrate and the month the holiday is in. Write the holiday on the board appropriately.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pass out the Joey's Calendar worksheet.
- Explain that this worksheet has Joey's monthly events on it.
- Complete the worksheet together as a class, going over each question one at a time.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Show students the Create a Calendar worksheets.
- Have students partner up and start filling in the holidays on the board.
- Students may need help figuring out the days of the month certain holidays fall on.
- Enrichment: Have students think of family members' birthdays or other life events to add to their calendars.
- Support: Creating calendars for a whole year may be overwhelming to some, so have these students focus on one or two specific months that are meaningful to them.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Students will be assessed by the completion of the Joey's Calendar worksheets and the Create a Calendar worksheets.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Students may share their calendars or part of their calendar with the rest of the class.