- 90 minutes
This lesson will make your students aware of their sense of sight. They will learn to not just look but to actually see the things around them.
Students will be able to identify their sense of sight. Students will be able to describe the purpose of sight.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be learning about their sense of sight today.
- Ask your students if they know what the word sight means.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (20 minutes)
- Tell your students that we have been given five senses, one of which is sight.
- Inform your students that sight means to be able to see.
- Ask your students to name some objects that they see on a daily basis.
- Go around the class, and have each student tell you one thing they see.
- Write the objects that the students tell you on the board.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Sense Of Sight worksheet with a partner.
- Go over the worksheet as a class.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the What Do You See? worksheet.
- Tell your students that they need to draw an object that they see in the box.
- Inform your students that a magnifying glass lets us see things close up.
- Gather your students and have them see something in the classroom using a magnifying glass. Ask your students to draw what they saw in the magnifying glass on the worksheet.
- Ask your students to color their pictures.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to close their eyes. Tell them to imagine being at the park. Ask them to open their eyes and write five objects that they saw at the park. Tell them to draw and color a picture for each object.
- Support: Gather students at the back table. Place a few items from the classroom on the table. Ask them to identify the objects they see.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Take A Closer Look worksheet.
- Instruct your students to circle the picture that matches the one in the net.
- Collect papers from your students for grading.
Review and Closing (15 minutes)
- Place a floor mirror in the class.
- Ask each student to come and look in the mirror one at a time.
- Tell your students to draw what they saw in the mirror on the See worksheet.