- Kindergarten, First Grade
- 50 minutes
In this lesson, students will listen to a story and begin learning the concept of cause and effect. They will make predictions and conduct an experiment of their own!
Students will understand the concept of cause and effect.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Ask students what might happen if they ate an entire cake all by themselves. Some students may say they would feel happy, while others may predict they could get a bad bellyache.
- Explain to the students that today they will begin learning about cause and effect.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Show the students the cover of the book If You Take A Mouse To School.
- Ask students to make predictions about what they think Mouse will do at school. Write down their ideas on the board.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read the story If You Take A Mouse To School aloud to your class.
- Refer back to the board where students' predictions are written. Compare their ideas to what actually happened in the story. Were the students correct?
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Ask the class what they think would happen if a real mouse were in their classroom.
- Have each student make one prediction.
- Write down their ideas on the bottom of white writing paper.
- Ask students to draw a picture of what they think the mouse will do at school above their sentence.
- Enrichment: Give students the Cause and Effect Story worksheet to complete.
- Support: Allow struggling students to work with a partner to complete the worksheet.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Have students complete the Cause and Effect Sentences worksheet.
- Check this worksheet for correctness to observe which students will need extra help.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have students complete their own experiment to see cause and effect in action.
- Ask students to predict what might happen if they paint over a crayon drawing with watercolors.
- Give each student a white crayon, watercolors, and a paintbrush and have them begin to start drawing and painting.
- Soon, they will see their drawing appear on the paper!