- 50 minutes
In this cheerio counting lesson, students will listen to a story about cheerio counting and then participate in hands on activities using the cheerios! They will work on counting to 10.
Students will be able to count and write from 1 to 10.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- To begin the lesson, have the class count to 10.
- Ask students to tell you how old they are. Have them hold up the number of fingers that corresponds to their age.
- Explain that today the class will be using cheerios to practice counting to 10!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read the Cheerios Counting Book.
- Ask students to help count throughout the book.
- Show students a cheerio necklace and have students count how many cheerios are on the necklace.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Give each student a piece of paper that has circles on it.
- Give each student a handful of cheerios.
- Instruct the class to place 3 cheerios inside the first circle. Then have them write the number 3 below the circle.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Now, have students continue to fill the circles with cheerios and write the amount per circle below.
- Walk around the room to make sure students are completing the activity correctly.
- If students are having difficult writing the numbers, write them in highlighter or yellow crayon so students can trace them.
- Enrichment: Students succeeding in this activity should be given additional circles to fill with cheerios or more cheerios to practice counting 1-20.
- Support: Using a number line for this activity can help students who have difficulty writing numbers. Prewriting numbers under the circles will help, too!
Related Books and/or Media
- BOOK: Little Owl's 1-2-3 by Divya Srinivasan
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Give students yarn and another handful of cheerios. Ask students to place a certain number of cheerios on their yarn to create a necklace or bracelet.
- Count the amount they put on to make sure they are correct.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Invite students to count the cheerios as they eat them!