- 55 minutes
Introduce your preschoolers to circles with this fun lesson. Your students will enjoy identifying circles hidden in everyday objects around the classroom.
Students will be able to identify and draw a circle. Students will be able to sort shapes based on one characteristic.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Call your students together as a group, and ask them if they can identify a circle.
- Inform students that they will sing one verse of "The Wheels on the Bus," and do the actions.
- Altogether, sing: The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town.
- Show the students an image of a school bus.
- Inform the students that circles, like wheels, are round shapes.
- Reinforce the definition of round by making a circle with your hand.
- Ask the students to make a circle with their hands.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Draw a circle on the board.
- Explain to your students that circles are round and have no sides.
- Show your students images of a lollipop and a snowman.
- Ask a student to come to the board and point to the circle on the snowman.
- Ask another student to come to the board and point to the circle on the lollipop.
- Explain that lollipops and snowmen are made of circles, too.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Place the students in even groups to work. Give each group several geometric shapes.
- Have the students pick out all of the circles and place them in a cup or bowl.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give the students each a Shapes Maze worksheet.
- Have the students color all the circles with one color.
- Enrichment: For students who need a greater challenge, have them sort all of the geometric shapes provided.
- Support: Give students only shapes that are circles. Have the students sort the shapes by color.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Museum Spot the Shapes
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Assess the independent work of the students when you walk around the room.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Call the students together as a group.
- Ask the students to name two characteristics of a circle.
- Review the independent worksheet, and reveal how the bear gets back to his cave.