Comparing Big and Small
Students will be able to differentiate between big and small. Students will be able to list things that are big and small. Students will be able to sort big and small circles.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Write the words big and small on the board.
- Sing the Big and Small Action song to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with your class: This is big, and this is small. (Open arms wide, then close together.) This is big, and this is small. (Open arms wide, then close together.) I can be big like a bear. (Open arms and feet wide.) I can be small, curled into a ball. (Crouch into ball.) This is big, and this is small. (Open arms wide, then close together.) This is big, and this is small. (Open arms wide, then close together.)
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Gather students in a circle on the carpet.
- Show them a large item, such as a big book, and tell them that is big.
- Show students a little item, such as a quarter, and tell them that is small compared to the big book.
- Give other items to various students.
- Have students place big items in one pile and small items in another.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Place students into groups.
- Give each group glue, a poster, and a set of paper cutouts.
- Instruct students to work together to paste big circles on the right side of the poster and small circles on the left side.
- Monitor students as they conduct the activity.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student a Big vs. Small worksheet to complete.
- Read the instructions with the class.
- Enrichment: Instruct your students to write the words big and small under the corresponding images on the Big vs. Small worksheet. Have more advanced students write a sentence under the items. For example: This ball is big. This ball is small.
- Support: Monitor your students as they complete the Big vs. Small worksheet. Show more examples of big and small items in the classroom
Related Books and/or Media
- Big and Small by Britta Teckentrup
- GAME: Circus Measurement
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Check the students' completed worksheets.
- Note if they correctly identified the big and small pictures.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have students make a big circle with their hands and a small circle with their fingers.
- Sing the song from the beginning of the lesson with the class again.