Craft Stick Story Elements
The students will be able to write and identify story elements to increase their reading comprehension.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Explain to the students that the lesson focus will be on certain story elements that will help them understand what happened in a story and why.
- Read the story Leo the Late Bloomer
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- On the craft sticks write one story element: retell, author's purpose, character traits, sequence, or main idea. Make 4-5 sets of the sticks.
- Author's purpose helps the students understand why the author wrote the story: to entertain, give information, or persuade us.
- Character traits allow the students to understand and interpret characters' feelings.
- Sequence helps us understand the order of what happened in the story.
- Main idea explains what the story is all about.
- Choose a stick from the bag and read it to the students.
- On the chart paper, write something about Leo the Late Bloomer that's related to the term on the stick.
- Let the students read what you have written.
- Choose another stick and let the students help you write something for it.
- Continue until all the sticks have been used.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (20 minutes)
- Place the students in groups. Let them select captains for their groups.
- Give each group a resealable bag that contains story element sticks and a tape recorder (with a cassette tape already enclosed).
- Have the captains each choose a group member to pull a craft stick from the bag.
- The member should read it to the group. Have groups discuss what their answers should be.
- When a group has a consensus, instead of writing the answer, they should record their answer on the cassette.
- Have students continue until all the story element sticks have been used.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Let the students each choose a story element craft stick, read it, and return to their seats.
- Tell them to think about the answer from their group time and write it down.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can choose a story they have previously read. They can choose a craft stick with the story elements and work independently to write their answers for the sticks on lined paper. Have them choose at least 3 sticks.
- Support: Work with struggling students in small groups. Together, come up with suitable responses. Write them down and let the students copy them.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Let the students read what they wrote in their journals to a partner sitting next to their left elbow.
- Circulate and listen. Offer suggestions where needed.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Review the key terms and relate them to Leo the Late Bloomer.