Bram Stoker's Dracula has inspired feelings of fear and morbid curiosity for over a century. With this lesson plan, your students will get a taste of the literary work while learning about the myth behind vampires.
Students will learn about the folklore surrounding vampires and improve their reading comprehension skills.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Begin the lesson by going through the Vampires in Pop Culture slideshow.
- Show the Vampire Life video, and encourage students to sing along.
- Let students know that today's lesson will be about a famous mythological creature: the vampire.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Ask students to share what they know about vampires.
- Explain that vampires are creatures said to drink blood and live forever. They come from mythology, or old (and usually fictional) stories, and they don't actually exist.
- Conduct a quick review of point of view and supporting details to make sure that students will be able to keep up with the upcoming reading activity.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (25 minutes)
- Distribute a copy of the Dracula excerpt to each student.
- Have the class follow along as you read the excerpt aloud.
- Ask students questions about what you read after you finish.
- Give students some time to fill in the journal portion of their copies.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Have students complete the All About Vampires worksheet independently.
- Observe students as they work, providing assistance as needed.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can be asked to help you read the Dracula excerpt aloud.
- Support: Work with struggling students one-on-one, and give them hints for completing their journal entries and worksheets.
Related Books and/or Media
- VIDEO: Vampires: Folklore, Fantasy, and Fact by Michael Molina]
Assessment (20 minutes)
- Pass out copies of the Dracula reading comprehension quiz.
- Have students complete and turn in their quizzes. Review their answers later to assess their comprehension of the lesson content.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have each student share something about vampires that she didn't know until today.