- Fifth Grade
- Reading, Writing
- 70 minutes
- Standards: L.5.1
Sentences can be surprisingly complex. Enhance your students' reading and writing skills with this comprehensive lesson on diagramming sentences and identifying parts of speech.
Students will be able to identify the following parts of speech within a sentence: noun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition, and conjunction.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- List some different parts of speech (noun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, and conjunction) on the board. Write an example next to each one.
- Briefly review the definition of each part of speech. A noun refers to a person, animal, place, thing, or idea. An adjective describes the state of a noun. A verb refers to an action. An adverb describes how a verb is performed. A preposition refers to location, either in space or time. A conjunction connects words and phrases.
- Review the forms of the verb "be" (am, is, are, was, and were), then write them down on the board as well.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Hand out copies of the Sentence Diagramming Practice worksheet to your students.
- Display your worksheet using a document camera, then complete problem number 1. Remember to follow the worksheet instructions and narrate as you work. Have students follow along on their own copies.
- As a class, complete problem number 2.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Have students work on the rest of the worksheet.
- Sit with struggling students and work with them.
- Have an answer sheet prepared for students to check their work once they finish.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Hand out the copies of the Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheet.
- Have students complete the worksheets without your assistance. Students who complete the worksheet before time is up can work on the
- Enrichment: * Students who finish their Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheets early can work on the Diagramming Sentences: Secret Garden worksheet.
- Support: Provide one on one assistance to struggling students as they complete their worksheets.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Review the answers to the Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheet.
- Collect all worksheets at the end of the exercise, and review them later to assess student comprehension.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Allow students to ask questions and give comments about the lesson.