- First Grade
- 55 minutes
- Standards: RF.1.2.B
Make reading as fun as A-B-C and 1-2-3! Introduce your first grade students to ending blends such as NK, LK, NT, MP, and ND.
Students will be able to identify and manipulate consonant ending blends.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell the students that today they will be learning about consonant ending blends.
- Explain that consonants are letters in the alphabet that are not vowels.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Show the students the Consonant Endings video.
- List NK, LK, NT, MP, and ND on the board.
- Have your students list the words they heard in the video.
- Ask the students if they know any words that rhyme with the words listed.
- Categorize the words according to their consonant endings.
- Some examples may include drink, silk, sent, camp, and land.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Play hangman as a class or have 2 groups compete against each other.
- Use words that have already been discussed in the lesson.
- Write the ending blend in the word so that students just have to guess the vowel and beginning consonant to complete the word.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give students the Ending Blends worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students.
- Give the students time to complete the assignment.
- Collect the worksheet for grading.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to use words with ending blends in sentences. Challenge them to use at least two words with the same ending blend in the same sentence.
- Support: Give the students only the consonant ending ND to work with.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Have your students complete the Ending Blends 3 worksheet.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have the students say one new word as they exit the classroom.
- Ask the students to identify the consonant ending for their new words.