- 45 minutes
Fishing for new ways to review letters? Let your preschoolers cast a line to catch an uppercase fish and return it to the corresponding lowercase fishbowl.
Students will be able to match uppercase and lowercase letters.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell students that today they will be reviewing uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Show students the paper fish and plastic cup fishbowls.
- Point out that each fish has an uppercase letter printed on it, and each "fishbowl" has a lowercase letter printed on it.
- Tell students they will be taking turns using the fishing pole to catch uppercase fish, and then matching the letter on the fish to the correct fishbowl.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Show students the fishing pole. Point out the magnet attached to the bottom.
- Show students the fish. Point out the paper clip attached to each one.
- Explain how to use the magnet to catch fish by positioning the pole over the paper clip.
- Demonstrate how to use the fishing pole.
- Tell the students that once they've caught a fish, they must call out the name of the letter on the fish before finding its matching fishbowl.
- Tell the students to pass the fishing pole to the next student in line after they've matched their fish.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Do a practice round. Bring four students to the front of the room and have them pair up.
- Give each pair one fishing pole.
- Mix up the paper fish and allow students to "cast" into the pile.
- Remind students to call out the letter when they catch a fish.
- Have your volunteers place the fish in the matching "fishbowl."
- When they've placed their fish correctly, students can pass the fishing pole to their partner.
- Allow volunteers to complete a couple more letters.
- Take any questions your students may have.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Divide your class in half.
- Have the halves line up and give the first person in line the fishing pole.
- Have students play the game.
- Assist students when needed.
- Enrichment: After students have placed all of the fish in the fishbowl, encourage students to arrange the letters in alphabetic order.
- Support: For students who have not yet mastered all lowercase letters, start with smaller groups of letters (such as A-E). Increase the amount of letters as skills improve.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Assess students on how well they are able to identify and match the letters.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask students what they liked best about this activity.
- Ask students if they now feel more comfortable identifying matching numbers.