Happy Birthday Numbers
Students will practice one-to-one correspondence.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Explain to your students that they will match numbers, or numerals, to their quantities, or amount.
- Show some examples by having your students place the corresponding number of objects in each gift box. Each gift box should have a number on it.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Gather your students, and ask one child to identify his age.
- Form a piece of playdough into a cake shape.
- Use a craft stick to carve the number into the front.
- Then, have your students join you in counting the craft sticks (candles) to match the numeral.
- Sing "Happy Birthday," and have the student pretend to blow out the candles.
- Count the sticks again individually as you remove them from the pretend cake.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Hold up a number card, and ask your students to hold up the corresponding number of fingers.
- Repeat several times, and check for understanding.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give each pair of students a piece of playdough, a handful of craft sticks, plates or trays, and a gift number box from the introduction.
- Direct them to mold a cake, "write" the number on the front, and place the corresponding number of sticks in their cakes.
- Have your students take turns with the numbered boxes.
- Enrichment: Give your students two numbers during the cake activity, and challenge them to practice adding by combining and placing a number of objects on their "cakes".
- Support: During the assessment, have your students write numbers from one to five instead of one to ten.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Provide each student with 5 or 10 index cards.
- Ask your students to label each card with a number from one to 10.
- Tell your students to place a matching number of stickers, stamps, or fingerprints on each.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have the students work with you to create a class number line with the numbers on their index cards.