Helpers in Our Community
Students will be able to identify at least 3 community helpers. Students will be able to identify the role and importance of community helpers. Students will be able to identify initial sounds and write the corresponding letter.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Ask students if anyone knows what a community helper is. Ask if they think a teacher is a community helper.
- Explain that a community helper is anyone who helps others by providing a service.
- Ask students to list people who help others. Examples include police officers, firefighters, mail carrier, etc.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Then, read the story Whose Hat is This? Identify how each hat belongs to someone who helps others.
- Next, have students go through the classroom library or selected books picked out about community helpers.
- Invite them to explore these books and see how many they can find!
- Have students select which community helper they would like to be when they grow up.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Next, stand in front of the classroom and explain that a teacher is a community helper.
- Say why you chose to be a community helper and what you do to help others.
- Have the students take turns speaking about which community helper they chose as their favorite.
- Instruct them to wear the hats that match the community helpers they chose.
- On the board, draw a picture of a teacher, and sound out the word teacher with the class.
- See if any student can identify the initial sound for the word teacher.
- Then, write the word teacher under the drawing.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give students the opportunity to complete an expressive drawing and writing activity.
- Have each student spell and sound out the words of the community helper they would like to be and that they spoke about.
- Then, help them write that helper on the lined paper.
- Instruct them to draw a picture of this person above the word.
- Enrichment: Have students select multiple community helpers to add to their writing pieces. Give your students the worksheets to read.
- Support: Have students find the books that match their favorite community helpers to help assist them in finding the initial sound of that word.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Community Helpers Quiz
Assessment (5 minutes)
- As an assessment, have each student go around the room and identify the letters in the word.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- As a review, have the students take their writing pieces home to explain their choice of community helpers to their guardians!